Abbey is a member of the Young People's Advisory Group. During 2012, Advisory Group members will participate in five weekend meetings, and spend time throughout the year researching and obtaining the views of other children and young people. The Commissioner, Megan Mitchell, will use the advice provided by the Advisory Group to inform the recommendations she makes whilst advocating for the children and young people of NSW.
Some fun fact/s:
- I am addicted to solitaire.
- I’m the go to person at school if you want to know a new song or an up and coming band.
- I can recite every Kath & Kim episode ever made… EVER. And I often drop quotes into my daily conversations.
I’m passionate about:
I love the performing arts, particularly singing, dancing and acting. Music as well, not just performing but listening. I love being the first to know songs amongst my friend group. I also really care about animals and their well being.
I think issues affecting children and young people in my community (or in general) are:
- The lack of entertainment and recreational facilities for young people.
- Animal rights, I think that young people are really concerned for animal welfare.
- Social Media and cyber bullying. I don’t think I have met any young person who hasn’t been affected or at least aware of someone who has been affected by this issue.
If I had a magic wand, I would address these issues by:
Raising more awareness and getting more funding to assist with these issues.
Is there anything else that you would like people to know about you?
I have a really bubbly and enthusiastic personality, and I really enjoy being informed on the big issues and I am always willing to give my opinion. My passion for the arts and animals really shape who I am. I hardly talk about much else. I also love reading, water sports, volunteering for charity and making speeches. And finally, you will hardly ever see me wearing an outfit with at least one floral piece.