The NSW Commission for Children and Young People is committed to the safety, welfare and well-being of children and young people.
The Working With Children Check
As part of our commitment to safety, the Commission completes the Working With Children Check on behalf of employers to assist them with recruitment.
The Working With Children Check helps protect children and young people from abuse by:
- helping employers create workplaces that are safer for children
- prohibiting people with convictions for serious sex offences from applying for or working in child-related employment
- establishing a process for child-related employment and providing procedural fairness for people having their backgrounds checked.
Our guarantee of service
The Commission is committed to providing a timely, effective and responsive Working With Children Check process. We do this by:
- completing all Working With Children Check procedures efficiently
- keeping all information relating to the Working With Children Check secure and protecting the privacy and confidentiality of individuals consistent with the legislation
- providing advice and assistance to Working With Children Check clients, and employers and Approved Screening Agencies
- operating with integrity, discretion and regard for our clients
- observing our Code of Conduct and Ethics which provides an ethical framework to guide decisions, actions and behaviour of all Commission Staff.
How to make a complaint
The Commission is committed to resolving all complaints received about its services.
Some complaints can be dealt with quickly, if not immediately. In some cases, a decision may take longer. We will try to deal with a complaint as quickly as possible and keep you informed of its progress.
If you have a complaint about a Working With Children Check conducted by the Commission, you should lodge it in the first instance with the Manager, Working With Children.
The Manager, Working With Children can be contacted at:
Level 2, 407 Elizabeth St
SURRY HILLS NSW 2010
Phone: (02) 9286 7276
If a complaint cannot be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties, our Director (Operations) will review it.
If you remain dissatisfied, you may contact the NSW Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is an independent body that reviews the conduct of government and some non-government organisations.
The NSW Ombudsman can be contacted at:
Level 24, 580 George Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9286 1000